Joy Tahan Ruddell has over twenty-five years of collections and registration experience. Prior to independent consulting, Joy coordinated the registration department at a large California museum which included insurance, loans, acquisitions, collections access and research, policy and procedure development and management, and intellectual property management. Working with staff museum-wide she developed programs that helped the community engage with collections. Joy has extensive experience with major collections projects including: inventories, collections moves, project management, acquisition and deaccession activities, NAGPRA projects, grant writing, insurance and risk management, and loan processing and organization.
Joy is currently the Director of Museums and Collections for CatalogIt, an innovative new collections management system for documenting the story of things. Joy works with museums of all sizes to help implement their new collections management system and coordinates with the Co-Founders of CatalogIt to ensure the product stays up to date with all current museum professional practices.
Joy is an Alum of the John F. Kennedy Museum Studies Program and served as Adjunct Faculty teaching collections management courses. She also served on the California Associations of Museums (CAM) board and as a founding board member of the Bay Area Registrars and Collections Specialists (BARCS) professional development group. Joy is Vice President of the Board of Directors of the Camron-Stanford House Museum in Oakland, California and a member of the California Historical Records Advisory Board.
Joy specializes in helping museums build capacity through creative problem solving and determining scalable solutions. Extensive knowledge and advanced understanding of national standards allows her to assist with virtually any collections conundrum.
Click here to view Joy’s résumé
Are you interested in hearing from Joy about her career as a museum registrar and her transition to consulting? Click this link to hear an podcast interview published by Kelly Bennett and Art Pro Net: APN Blog
Select alphabetical listing of clients and consultations:
- American Bookbinders Museum, San Francisco, California
- Block Museum of Art, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois
- California Historical Society, San Francisco, California
- Camron Stanford House Museum, Oakland, California
- Catalogit, (Collections Management Software), Oakland, California
- di Rosa, Napa, California
- Evelyn I. Carlson Historical Collection, NDGW, San Francisco, California
- Hayward Area Historical Society, Hayward, California
- Isleton Brannan-Andrus Historical Society, Isleton, California
- The Jay DeFeo Foundation, Berkeley, California
- Little Manila Foundation, Stockton, California
- Mary Porter Sesnon Art Gallery, University of California, Santa Cruz, California
- Oakland Museum of California, Oakland, California
- Paul Wonner and William Theophilus Brown Estate, San Francisco, California
- Piedmont Historical Society, Piedmont, California
- Tate Britain, London, England
- UC Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive, Berkeley, California
- University Art Gallery, Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, California
Current references available upon request. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org more information.